Instituto Geográfico Nacional
This decentralized agency was established as Military Topographic Office on December 5th, 1879. The Military Topographic Office was established by Julio Argentino Roca, who was the Minister of War and Navy during Nicolás Avellaneda presidency; the Lieutenant Colonel Manuel J. Olascoaga was the responsible for the named agency.
The Topographic Office was then established by the need to map the national territory due to the borderline advance against natives.
At the beginning of 1901, and after a necessary reorganization process related to the tasks assigned, the agency name was changed to Military Geographic Institute.
Its achievements strengthened the importance of its field of study, and in 1919 it was assigned the responsibility of making the Argentine Republic official cartography, together with geodetic works to support civilian and military activities.
With the enact of the Mapping Law (Law N°. 12,696) on October 3rd, 1941, the systematic and regular production of fundamental geodetic works and topographic surveying uniformly and homogeneously began all over the country.
In May 2009, the Argentine Republic Geographic Institute started to belong to the civilian domain; renamed as Argentine Republic National Geographic Institute (IGN).
Its main mission is to represent the national territory by means of the official cartography ensuring that the maps that show the Argentine Republic, either manufactured, imported or circulating within the country, are adjusted to the official cartography.
Its mission is also related to establishing a national geodetic frame and everything related to geographic information systems, in order to meet the goals and policies stated by the National Executive, contributing to efficiently establish the boundaries and graphic representation of the Argentine national territorial sovereignty.
By the end of 19th century, the Geographic Institute was established as an Office within the Army resulting from territorial expansion and occupation. This idea has shifted at present, as we consider geography serves all human activities. This change has generated a new overview of the Argentine National Geographic Institute:
- Institutionally open and integrated to the National and Provincial Governmental Administrations, the national scientific and technological system, the academia, tourism, production and people in general;
- Effective and efficient, technically updated, contributing to the development of the country; and,
- Provider of basic geographic information to take accurate decisions when designing and planning public policies.
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Ingeniería y Agrimensura
The Faculty of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Natural Applied to Industry began to dictate their chairs in Rosario on August 2, 1920 and its first act of graduation of degrees was held on October 9, 1925, when 10 civil engineers and 8 surveyors received their diplomas.
Since its foundation, this university was one of the Rosario’s headquarters of the Universidad Nacional del Litoral, which also included the cities of Santa Fe, Corrientes and Parana.
Soon, the great development of the Universidad Nacional del Litoral showed the need to create a National University in Rosario, an initiative reached in 1968, based on the academic structure that had the National University of Litoral in the city.
Since then, with the creation of the UNR, was born the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Architecture, one of the main pillars in the fulfillment of the dream of providing the own university to Rosario. Its name was evolved to the current Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Surveying (FCEIA).
The FCEIA develops its academic activities in two locations: Pellegrini and University Center of Rosario (CUR).
At the adress of Avenida Pellegrini 250, where the historic building built for this purpose and opened in 1929 is located, there are the headquarter of the Dean, the Board of Directors, administrative offices, some Institutes, Laboratories and the Schools of Basic Training, Surveying, Industrial Engineering , Natural Sciences and the Graduate School and Continuing Education.
At the CUR, the FCEIA has numerous buildings: the School of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Electronics Engineering.
In addition, various laboratories, centers and institutes and the nuclear reactor RA-4 develop their activities on that site.
The Faculty of Exact Sciences, Engineering and Surveying (FCEIA) give classes for 11 degree studies (6 in Engineering, 3 degrees in Sciences, 2 university Professorships), has a wide range of careers and postgraduate courses, and also provides Distance Learning.
In addition, open courses to the community, with general and specific guidance are taught.
The FCEIA is also related to the society through its extensive network of laboratories, areas, centers and institutes that provide business services, perform extension tasks and technological linkages, and develop their own research.
All Engineering and Bachelor degrees, as well as Graduate majors, have the maximum period of accreditation granted by the National Assessment and Accreditation (CONEAU), an organization whose mission is to ensure and improve the quality of careers and academic institutions of Argentine university system, through activities of evaluation and accreditation of the quality of education.